The temperature went below freezing today and we actually had some snow flurries! I heard mixed dates about the last time Monterrey saw snow...anywhere from 1986 to 1999. Nonetheless, there were a few kids who had never seen snowfall before so it was fun to see the excitement at a few snowflakes...I have to admit I was excited too. I was in the cafeteria when it started and the cafeteria staff were looking out the kitchen door and laughing excitedly. I then all of a sudden got really excited too and actually went back in the kitchen with them to look out the door (mind you they were only flurries).
Here are the kickers:
1. Our school has a rule that if the temp gets below freezing (0 Celsius) then kids don't have to come to school and it doesn't count as an absence. But, they still have the option to come...so, I had 6 kids today. In total, 20 kids showed up in 4th grade out of 110. Here they all are in my room for Spanish class:
2. The power went out around 11:50...no one knows why but the guess was the weather+everyone running their heat on full blast. Our school hallways are outside and our rooms were getting colder by the minute, so there was no escape from the cold. The power came back on around 12:30, but by that time an announcement had already been made that we were closing early. I left work at 1:30 today.
The temp is below freezing until tomorrow afternoon and we're expecting precipitation tonight, so we all have our fingers crossed that there will be no school tomorrow, which is UNHEARD of around here. The snow only stuck at the tops of the mountains today, so we heard about a ton of kids who skipped school but drove up to the mountain near our school to play in the snow. Here are some of my sweet kids pointing at the snow on Chipinque.
All that to say, today was super bizarre and I felt like I accomplished nothing. And...I moved to Mexico to take a break from the cold. It followed me.
No comments:
Post a Comment