1.12.2012

Glass 1/2 Full

Things that happened because something else was broken this week:
1. I drove a stick shift across town...I'd only ever driven with a qualified driver before.**
2. I called the washing machine man to come fix our washer, made the appt. and gave him directions to our house-all in Spanish.
3. I have gotten to spend a lot more time with my friends as they joyfully drive my humbled butt around this city.
4. I learned the Spanish words for the light bulb, the bulb part of a light bulb, the cover of a light bulb and how to say the light bulb is "burnt out." (They actually say "fundida" which means melted)
5. I've spent a lot more time reading, mostly while waiting on gracious friends to come pick me up.
6. Did I mention I drove a clutch today? Alone?** And that my amount of daily prayers grew exponentially as a result?
7. I've prayed for my mechanic. You should try it some time.
8. I've read Philippians at least 8 times. Also recommended.
9. I've been reminded that much more growth happens when we have to struggle.
10. I learned how to drain the water out of our broken washer and discovered the hilarious ghetto hole in the wall where the drain pipe goes (while flooding the kitchen, as previously stated)

To sum it up, I feel a little more humble, a little more brave, and a little more Spanish-speaker.

**I stalled at least 3 times on the road, once on a hill, almost ran into a wall because I thought it was in reverse, drove at least a half mile with the emergency brake on, and, lastly, I stalled at least 4 times in the parking garage where I tutor...the security guard was super encouraging and trying to give me advice. I think he was a little worried to see me go. I got the hang of it about a third of the way home but I MADE IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment